Saturday, July 16, 2005

Never going there again

Source: "The addition of finger scanning technology at the entrances of Walt Disney World theme parks for all visitors has caused concern among privacy advocates, according to a Local 6 News report."

I am not sure why Disney needs to finger scanning technology at their gates. They are not using it to catch criminals because that would be against the law and they do not have access to the criminal databases

"Disney officials said the scans help keep track of who is using legitimate tickets, Local 6 News reported."

So the are using the scans for internal data collection purposes...I am not sure why that is necessary. I know a little bit about data and information processes and I cannot see why you need to fingerscan everyone. As long as the tickets that are sold are used, I am not sure why they care who is using them. What information leverage does this provide Disney? Though it seems that other parks think it is a good idea also.

"Universal Orlando and SeaWorld also plan to implement similar technology in the future."

Needless to say, if I get there and they are scanning fingers, I will either not go in or scan other members of my body.

via drudge

cube


No comments: