Saturday, November 08, 2003

Music in the new age

The main problem that I have with this article http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/147245_downloads07.html

is the statement:

Typically about two-thirds of those songs were downloaded over the Internet, while the rest were legally copied into the computer from CDs, Crupnick said

Trading music is illegal, that I feel is obvious.
Stopping me from making backups of the data I purchased is wrong. Once I buy data (music), it is mine and no one else's. I cannot legally give that data (music) to some one else, but I can make as many back-ups of that data, as I want. If I happened to want to store that data onto hard dive (it is common, cheap, and relativity fault tolerant), I should be able to. They say that it is illegal to do that, which according to the digital millennium copyright act it is.

The only way around that is setting up a licensing agreement with the user, much like the software industry has done. When I purchase the CD, I have a unique id for that number. I can make as many copies as I want but I have to have original id number for the cd that I have to use to listen to the music.
That will never work. So they are stuck letting me make back-ups of my data (with no intent to share).

I just though i would let you in on the way the music industry is trying to strong arm the consumer.

cube

No comments: