Sunday, November 23, 2003

Sad state of America

Normally I am not one of those people who point out what is wrong with America, and bemoan how the country is going down the drain. My experience today makes me ask where this country is going, and do I approve of the direction.

I was going to Little Rock to meet my mom and my sister for a day of hanging out, shopping, and good general merry making. Just a few minutes out of Memphis I saw a hitchhiker, normally I pull over very quickly and pick them up, but this guy was in a weird location and there were cars in my way. So I decided after a guilt ridden couple of seconds to catch the next exit and swing back around on the interstate and pick the guy up. It took 3 to 5 minutes to get to an exit, and it took 5 to 7 minutes to get back because the guy was right before an exit and I had to go 2 exits back to pick him up. I pull over to the side of the road. I open my door and he comes over with his bag in hand, and says "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" I say, "No." He says, "How far are you going?" I say, "To Little Rock." The hitchhiker says that he is going slightly past little rock, and that he hates to turn down a ride, but he has been in Little Rock before and it is hard to get out of. I say that is ok, and then the guy asks me if I have some food, which I give him an unopened candy bar, that I had bought for my breakfast.

What the hell is wrong with a society when the beggars become choosers?

cube

No comments: