Friday, May 06, 2005

Human babies 'grown in lab'

You have to love those London tabloids. The title of the article is "Human babies 'grown in lab' ", though, in reality it is about human eggs (which eggs combine with sperm to produce zygotes and zygotes become embryos which then become babies).

"They were created by scraping stem cells off the surface of ovaries and exposing them to a chemical which stimulated growth." Human eggs which could grow into embryos have been created in a laboratory for the first time, scientists announced yesterday. In general, I am against using embryos in wholesale scientific research, though I do not really have much attachment to the parts that make up the embryos (sperm and eggs). Actually, I would be willing to donate my sperm to scientific reresearch if you paid me for it. Heck, I would be willing to donate sperm to anything if you paid me for it. So I really do not agree with this statement, "But pro-life campaigner Matthew O'Gorman said: 'The artificial harvesting of eggs is synonymous with the intention to manufacture human beings for research. This is unethical, unnecessary and unacceptable.' "

Though I have to admit, I am really not opposed to growing parts of people, either. Such as legs, new hearts, and so on and so forth. I mean I would really like some new parts eventually. So I have a dilemma. I do not know how you are going to get the parts without getting the whole (growing people) or at least the beginning of the whole (the embryos). It might be possible to get beginnings of the parts from certain parts of the beginning.

via drudge

cube

No comments: