Friday, September 09, 2005

My generation

My generation is being defined by tragedy before my very eyes.

9-11, Afghan and Iraq wars, bombings in England and Spain, Tsunami, and Katrina. The ways in which these tragedies are going to affect my generation, will probably be innumerable. I am sure that other generations have experienced similar things, but the past experiences of earlier generations do not matter to the present generation.

In my opinion, death is what devalues life. When there are very few deaths from any number of causes (disease, war, or accidents), death becomes the abnormal. This causes us to value life more dearly. Once death becomes common place, life becomes less valued. A couple more disasters and I am afraid that my generation might value life just a little less than the one before it.

cube

No comments: