Thursday, October 21, 2004

An alternate idea about Turkey

I originally posted a possible outcome of Turkey not being let into the EU here, I have found an article that believes that the chances of getting into the EU are small for turkey.

I would like to concentrate on this comment the writer said.

"Freedom and development come with the slow evolvement of social capital, and this is how they may be sustainable and not fall victim to radical religion. This is what the West should promote, not only in Turkey, but also in the areas south-east of that country. And this takes generations. "

Generations, huh. I think that might have been true in the past, but I think that is not the case. The major thing that changes the pace of the advancement of freedom and development is the transference of information. The prime mover of information is technology. Technology is growing cheaper, more powerful, and ubiquitous. While countries can control information, they have a harder time of it now. The toughness of their task will only grow as technology becomes easily available. How big of an effect with this technology have on the pace of freedom? I don't know, but technology increases exponentially. I would place my bets on the techs.

cube

No comments: