Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Draft

The word "draft" scares the heck out of me. I am just right for the picking. Single, no kids to support, skilled, and with a longer than average boot camp I can probably exceed the physical requirements for the army. Additionally, I think I might enjoy a job where I get to shoot things, though I might not enjoy getting shoot at. I have thought about joining the national guard or reserve just so I can shoot fully automatic weapons.

All of that being said, if a draft were enacted, I would probably sign up. I really do not want an incompetent, unpatriotic bastard defending out country. Not to mention, it is better to sign up early to get your choice of jobs, instead of being assigned one not of your choosing.

I know how the draft worked back in the 70's, but I think that if it were enacted this time around it might look a little different. I think what is more likely is the situation mentioned in this article:

"Colonel Lalich, citing Selective Service memorandums on the subject, said the Defense Department had indicated that "a conventional draft of untrained manpower is not necessary for the war on terrorism." But, he said, "the Department of Defense has stated that what most likely will be needed is a 'special skills draft,' " including care workers in particular. "

I figured that the types of workers needed are skilled ones in short supply for the government. The information technology group was one group of people which I thought would be called up, I was wrong on that. It appears that medical workers are the ones are who are likely to be drafted. If you were in the army, would you want people who cannot figure out the simple riddle below and who are conscripted against their will to ply their trade caring for your life.

Moreover, Widmeyer said, "if medical professionals are singled out and other professionals are not called, many will find the process unfair," and health care workers will ask, "Why us?"

"Why us?", because health care workers have highly specialized skills which take years to master, said skills are in short demand nation wide, and the government cannot afford said skills on a large enough scale to do the job they need done, so the goverment forces you into service. If health care workers cannot figure out why they are being drafted over other professions, they should probably be drafted.

I personally am against the draft, and think that a skill draft is no better.

cube

No comments: